The village and the ruins of Landsee Castle were first mentioned in a document in 158. The name Landsee is first mentioned in a document preserved in the tradition book of the Abbey of Göttingen.
This document from 1158 testifies that the Count of Pitten, Ekbert III, gave his estate in Fohnsdorf to his ministerial (administrator), Sivrid, before his campaign in Italy. The charter book of Styria for the year 1173 also names an 'Erchenger von Landesehre', who is also referred to as 'herr Erkenger von Landesehre' in the rhymed chronicle of the Styrian poet and historian Ottokar. From this old name, the Hungarians created the name of the castle 'Landzser' (which also means 'spearman'). This documentation is confirmed by the 'Urkundenbuch für das Burgenland', volume 1 1955 Urkunden 808 - 1270, Hans Wagner, page 23.
Markt St Martin is first mentioned in a document in 1222 under the name 'Villa sancti Martini'.
During the various manors around the Landsee Castle and the Lackenbach Castle, the present urban area became the property of the Esterhazy family in the 17th century.
Originally a rural community, it developed into a small but nice residential, commercial, tourist and commuter community.
In 1971, the municipalities of Markt St. Martin, Neudorf and Landsee were merged to form the present municipality of Markt St. Martin.
It is the founding municipality of the "Landseer Berge" nature park.
Revitalisation of the castle ruins in Landsee. Sports facilities with natural bathing water, tennis court and camping site, beach volleyball court.
This has also led to the development of tourism, which is still modest at present.
Source: https://marktstmartin.at/